Pages

05 April 2011

04 April 2011

Today was awesome because it was my younger sister's birthday.

Yes, my big sister and little sister were born on back-to-back days, four years apart.  I landed on Earth right in-between.

My kid sister is not a kid anymore.  Two and a half years ago she gave birth to a child of her own-- my wonderful, darling niece.  Since that day, I've watched the little, bratty kid I grew up with become a beautiful, mature young woman, and the most loving mother you can imagine.  Looking back, it's as if there was always this little piece missing from my sister and now we know what it was.  My sister and her daughter truly complete each other.

We live on opposite sides of Canada, so I called to deliver my birthday wishes.  After speaking with my sister, she put the little rascal on the phone.  The sweetest, most-adorable little voice came on;

"Hi Uncle Mojo,"

Mojo!  She said Mojo!!!

When I last saw my niece in October, she affectionately referred to me as "Dojo."  No "uncle," and difficulty pronouncing the "M" sound (or perhaps she simply likened me to a martial arts training facility?).  This was the first time I've ever heard her say "Uncle Mojo", and my heart grew three sizes! 

Happy Birthday, sis.  I love you.  You're awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment