Pages

07 March 2011

06 March 2011

Today was awesome because it was a healthy day for mind and body.

My mobile phone alarm clock woke me up at precisely 9:27am.  For no reason whatsoever, I have avoided setting any alarm for any time that ends in zero or five since I was a child.  At 9:28 a miniature version of myself in a devil costume appeared on my left shoulder and whispered that it would be alright to go back to sleep.  Tempted, I remembered my commitment to my new friend Ella, so I summoned the strength to sit up, swing my legs over the edge of the bed, stand, and walk to the toilet.

Running late, I skipped breakfast, borrowed a bicycle from my housemate Darryl, and greeted the morning sun.  At my first intersection I discovered the lack of functioning breaks on this particular Raleigh.  Still running late, no time to turn back.  I pedaled the brakeless bike to Ogden Point where Ella and friends were waiting.  After a few "pleased to make your acquaintances" we started pounding pavement.  Ella brought us together to support Walk in Her Shoes.  Every step will empower women and girls to fight poverty.  Over 8,000 seaside steps were taken by each of us.  I saw a starfish in the water!  I didn't know we had starfish in Canada.  We found a dead stingray washed up on the beach!  I didn't know we had stingrays in Canada.

The rest of my Sunday was spent the way Sundays should be; moving at a slightly slower pace that usual.  I practiced guitar, I wrote in the fresh-paper scented pages of my new treeless notebook, and I started reading a new book.  Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac.  Long has it been on my "must read" list and forty-two pages in it has not disappointed.

Today, I got a little exercise in support of an important issue in the morning, and spent the remainder of the day exercising and resting my brain.  And today was awesome.


(What made your day awesome?  Tell me in the comments section below.  I'd love to hear about it!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment