Pages

22 March 2011

21 March 2011

Today was awesome because John Lennon taught me how to cook rice "the proper way."

I struggle with rice.  Oh, I love rice... it's one of my all-time favourite grains... but unless it comes in a big box, proudly named after how rapidly you can cook it, I never seem to get it right.

I think it's hereditary.  My mother gave me curly hair and the uncanny ability to constantly screw up boiling something in water.

After a couple of unsuccessful stove-top attempts, my housemate Darryl offered me the use of his Cuisinart Rice Cooker.  "Foolproof!" he says.  "Add the rice, add the water, flip the switch, walk away.  When the rice is ready, the switch will automatically flip over from 'cook' to 'warm.'  Enjoy."

Ok.  Easy enough. 
Add the rice.  Done!
Add the water.  No problem.  I'm pretty good at this.
Flip the switch.  Piece of cake, did it with one finger.
Walk away.  Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot.  No worries there.
When the rice is ready, the switch will automatically flip.  Hm, so it did!
Now, enjoy... this mushy clump of half-raw, half-burnt rice.

Foiled again, I returned to the sofa and pulled "Memories of John Lennon, edited and introduced by Yoko Ono" on to my lap.  A collection of letters, stories, photos, sketches, and poems from John's friends, relatives, acquaintances, and admirers, sent to Yoko.  I was reading an entry by Klaus Voormann.  An artist and musician who befriended the young Beatles in their early Hamburg days, which led to a lifelong creative partnership (including the cover art for Revolver and The Beatles Anthology).  Klaus is recounting one night at John and Yoko's apartment in The Dakota building in New York.  A few pages into the tale, John said, "I'll show you how to cook rice the proper way."

Really!?!?  Only minutes after my own disaster, John Lennon- a man who has inspired me and influenced me in countless ways- is now going to teach me how to successfully make a pot of rice!  I couldn't believe the timing.  So perfect!  What an amazing world!

I'll share his method with you now:

["Now, watch me very closely."  Out of one of the cupboards, he pulled out a pot, in which he poured a few hands full of brown rice.  "And now comes the important part!"  John's face was serious when he filled me in to the art of rice cooking.  "Now you have to put your hand on the rice.  Like this, you see?"  He moved over a little to the side so I could have a better look into the pot.  John was putting his right hand into the pot on top of the rice.  "Now you pour the water over your hand, but please wash before you do that!"

"You mean the rice or the hand?"

"Klaus, I ask you!  Of course the hand.  So don't touch the rice with dirty hands."  He took a can of water and poured it into the pot.  "You only pour as much water into the pot until the back of your hand is covered with water.  Now watch me closely--like this."  He slowly let the water run over his hand.

"By watching your face, I would assume this is cold not boiling water."

"Very well observed, my boy.  Don't try to be funny now.  I don't go for German jokes.  Now you add a little salt, like this, and then you let the whole thing simmer and when the water has evaporated, then the rice is ready to be eaten."]


Thanks, John!!! And Klaus and Yoko for sharing.


(What made your day awesome?  Tell me in the comments section below.  Reading it will be another awesome part of my day!)

1 comment:

  1. TODAY IS AWESOME!!!

    I was going to send you a message about the following but then I realized, THIS IS AWESOME, I'm going to share it here! :)

    I have had exercise-induced-anaphylaxis (no joke, I'm allergic to exercise), since I was a kid. Today after months (arguably years) of training,testing and numerous setbacks I ran for 10 consecutive minutes in a row for the first time in my entire life!!!!! :) I don't know if I've ever felt this powerful!

    TODAY IS AWESOME!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete